Michelle’s Crumbly Fruit Squares
by Michelle Moore
To say that these squares will disappear is the understatement of the year! Perfect with a cup of tea, it is impossible to eat only one. I have wanted this recipe since the first time Michelle fed me one…best Christmas present ever! Thanks Michelle…
- 12oz/350g mixed dried fruit – be as creative as you can here – cherries, berries, apricots, apples etc all really zingy and fab, or a mix of dates, prunes and apricots also yummy, whatever you fancy really… (just that after such tinglers, ordinary sultanas, raisins etc are just boring and no-one will want to eat them!!)
- 3tbls lemon juice
- 5tbls water
- 8oz / 225g wholemeal flour (I always use SR, but plain will do)
- 4oz / 100g porridge oats
- 6oz / 175g margerine or butter, diced
- 6oz / 175g soft light brown sugar
- handful of mixed seeds to sprinkle over the top (optional)
- Heat the mixed fruit, lemon juice and water in a pan over a medium heat until the fruit has absorbed the water/lemon juice and it’s softened and mixed up a bit. Be careful not to let it burn… Set aside to cool a bit.
- Mixed all the other ingredients together (save the mixed seeds) and press half the quantity into a square 9″ pan (or 8×10), lined with tin-foil or parchment paper.
- Spread the fruit mix over the base, keeping about 1cm clear of the edge (otherwise the fruit will burn as the pan heats up), and cover with the rest of the oaty mix.
- Sprinkle with the seeds and press down fairly firmly.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven 190C/gas 5 for 35-40 minutes until golden.
- Leave to cool in the tin, then cut into 2cm squares.
These keep well for about a week or so, though I doubt they’ll last that long, they are really yummy!!
Michelle Moore is an inspirational baker! She gave Little Fire her first ever mini muffin bake-tray and let her make a big mess in her kitchen – an obsession was born. Michelle’s Chocolate Cake is legendary in Northern Ireland and she regularly invents wonderfully tasty treats for all to try, if you’re lucky enough to be in her kitchen that day!